Dec 12, 2016

Yesterday's parade

Written last night:
Dear Friends,

I have fallen in love with my broken Christmas tree. Rachel gave me the idea of putting it in the bedroom, and I did. I’m looking at it now, glowing in the corner by the window. It hardly matters that the center has no lights. The bedroom is just the place for a half-dressed tree. I may let her stay; Today I got a small live tree for the living room. 

Tonight I need the company of the tree because Zing is staying at Grateful Dog, the place with a big room for dogs to sleep in and a bed for the person in charge. No crates. He’s there because I went to dinner at Jack’s Urban Eats with Mary Kaye and her family, and didn’t want to worry about Zing panicking at home alone. He is mellowing out slowly, working the exercises Karen the vet gave us.  

Earlier today we went to the farmers market, and on the way home stopped at Beers Bookstore nearby. I bought a couple of paperbacks by Joan Didion, since she is from Sacramento. I hope I like these new books, because I’m starting to read again and it would be terrible to start with duds. 

Then came the day’s lovely highlight: As Zing and I began exploring the neighborhood around the bookstore, a police car closed the 10th Street intersection for a sudden parade. (A woman later corrected me and said it was a procession.) Mexican music was coming closer and closer, and then floats passed by, each carrying a young woman dressed as the Virgin of Guadalupe and people in traditional Mexican clothing. Then came fancy-stepping horses and men in sombreros. Dec. 12 is the feast of our Lady of Guadalupe, Mexico’s patron, and her shrine is across the park from the farmers market. Many of the people marching called to Zing and invited him along. I have wondered if he is part chihuahua. 

Love,
k




No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.