Dec 9, 2016

Flutes high and low, mini and monstrous

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

Little details are coming together: a mirror hung in the entrance, shower rod in place, bookshelves leveled ... and I seem to be cooking again: I made cookies and cabbage soup and even learned about cooking for Zing. (Who? Me?) When Katie True the vet called to check on him she told me stuff you might not know either: don’t feed pets raw meat.(I told her my trick of wrapping a pill in raw meat.) Brown the meat first. Brown ground meat all the way through. And don’t feed dogs bones; give them flexible food. Bones and also those reindeer horns and pig ears they sell at pet stores can break teeth. This dog stuff is a whole new cuisine. I asked Irene, my Tallahassee neighbor, for her dog food recipe, and she told me it has chopped meat, celery and sweet potatoes, garlic salt and more. She said her husband always ate a serving before she gave it to the dogs. 

But about yesterday: 
At the noon flute concert in the church across from the Capitol there was almost a crowd. Clark would have hated it! Too  Christmas-y. Too much Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy! I found myself listening, thinking of this, eyes closed, tears streaming. 

However, it was interesting to learn that not all flutes are black. (Where did I get that notion?) And a piccolo is a flute (Who knew?) And there are flutes 8 feet long, fat and angled like a figure 4. I agree with the conductor, who said flutes and piccolos need a bass, which these larger instruments provide. He said there’s even a monster flute so big it won’t fit into his car. You put it on wheels and drag it. Not behind the car, of course, but elsewhere, like a pet or a baby. Maybe it was the holiday spirit, but by the end of the hour I kind of liked the flutes.

Love,
k





No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.