Dec 20, 2016

Christmas on my mind

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

Today I did what you probably did: last minute Christmas preparations. First, I arranged a ride to the airport Thursday. Since I’m leaving on the 6:04 a.m. flight, I’ve got to leave here about 
3:45 a.m. As you know, I was going to drive to the airport myself, but through Sandra I’ve contacted an Uber driver who will take me there on time. Yes, on time. Do you detect a little worry? Yes, I’m worried, but I’m going to risk it. Sandra told me this driver, who is a client of hers, is also worried -- that there are too many uber drivers. I guess her work is diminishing.  Enough so she’s willing to drive me at a quarter to 4 in the morning. Pray that her alarm works -- both hers and mine.  (If she doesn’t show up I know the way, and Rosa is ready!)

Then I wrapped presents, made cards, mailed gifts (they’ll be late, but they’re on their way.). The most fun was messing around with paint and glitter for simple cards. 

I worked hard training Zing today. It's like training an athlete … slowly, with consistent progress. He’s not ready to be left alone yet. This might be the greatest challenge I’ve had to my patience. 

About 10:30 a.m. we were driving past the Capitol and saw lots of people converging there. I imagine they had some message for the electoral college, which did its final work today. Then, at 5 p.m. Zing and I were taking a fast walk around the Capitol and we passed TV cameras being set up on the sidewalk. I asked one man what for? and he said to report on the electoral college. “Oh,” I said, “I think I saw a crowd here several hours ago.” He shrugged. I guess they like the view of the Capitol in the setting sun for their timely evening reports. (Forgive my cynicism.)

A little past the TV action, we came upon a woman walking our way, and she said, “Oh, how cute!” Then she looked embarrassed. “Not you,” she said to me. “Your dog.”  OK, OK, Zing, you are cuter than I am!

The woman fussed over Zing and said she hopes to see us — or at least Zing — again.

I hope you’re enjoying your Christmas preparations!

Love,
k


Sacramento Christmas tree



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.