Dec 3, 2016

Made by hand -- made my day

Written last night:

Dear Friends,
I spent the day in the studio, going over finances, while outside my door young men installed sinks in the kitchen and baths. Unfortunately, their schedules were awry. They came late. Their measurements were off. The work that was supposed to finish yesterday may be completed next Thursday. They’ll be back. (Except for the man who has a curl right up the center of his crown. His mother in the Philippines fell and he has to fly over to help her out. His partner will be here next week to install the backsplash.
They worked hard, grunting as they lugged the sinks. They knew their wrenches. Nothing leaks, that I can tell, anyway. 

I also talked to Jennifer, and Patrice, and Mona — thanking Mona for her gift of a purple-inspired Courthouse Steps quilt. I had planned to hang it on the wall behind the purple couch. But one moment of sitting with Mona’s gift around me on this cold afternoon persuaded otherwise. There’s nothing like hand-quilting by a friend, thrown over your shoulders, fingered and appreciated stitch-by-stitch. Zing loved it too. I had to drag him off it. It’s impossible to explain how a piece hand-made by a friend signifies so much.

Love,
k

Mona's quilt



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.