Dec 31, 2016

Last tidbits of 2016

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

For a long while after Clark died I didn’t know what I was eating. Frozen lasagna mostly. Pizza. Fried eggs. And, of course, farmers market fruits and salad. But lately I’ve gotten back to cooking. Common thought is it’s not nice to cook for just one person, but so far I’ve been enjoying it. You make something, eat it tomorrow too and then freeze the rest. Today it was chickpea soup with olive oil and spinach. Tomorrow, whatever I find at the farmers market. It helps that I’m reading a couple books by Anthony Bourdain, a writer who makes me hungry. “I don’t know why I keep reading his books,” the clerk at Barnes and Noble said when I was buying A Cook’s Tour. “I don’t like him on TV, but he’s a great writer.” Remind me never to catch his TV show.  

Zing and I trained each other today. I’m trying to outsmart him, and it’s not working. He looks at me like he knows what I’m up to. He refuses the delectable treats I offer. He’s supposed to get immersed in them and forget that I’m leaving him alone. But he disdains them. I go out into the hall anyway. After a minute I hear Zing breathing on the other side of the door. I don't know if this means he's anxious or just that he's on to me. Zing is training me.

On another note, a couple of days ago I had an air connection in Minneapolis, and noticed a few interesting things about that snowy city:  first, much of Minnesota seemed to be heading to Florida. A horde heading to Fort Myers was giving flight personnel fits. It seems they had too much luggage. Another Minneapolis fact is that two out of the two cashiers who served me at airport shops and restaurants were young women wearing black hijabs. They might have been the Somalis I read about, who have made their home there. Other than their distinctive dress, they were commonplace, helpful and funny. 

And the last — maybe the slightest — thing about Minneapolis is that the airline personnel kept referring to the city as Minnie. As in, “Welcome to Minnie, everyone.” “Hope everyone has a great day in Minnie!"

These tidbits make travel interesting.

Love for the last time in 2016!

k

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.