Dec 2, 2016

Expecting the unexpected

Written last night:
Dear Friends,

Remember how at the beginning of renovation I was shocked when each project came apart before it came together? Now, near the end of the project, I expect a glitch at every step. And of course the unanticipated evil happened again today, while installing new countertops and sinks. I will spare the details (and the part where everyone explains how it wasn’t their fault) — but let’s just say that tonight I brushed my teeth with a bottle of Pellegrino, and a blue soup bowl was my sink.

Luckily I didn’t have to cook dinner; I’d made plans to meet Janie, who lives in this building, at the little restaurant next door. We’d shared some laughs when we met at the gentle yoga class held Wednesdays in our community room. (I’ve since  dropped out of yoga.) Janie is in a wheelchair, and she was having a glass of wine with a blind man when I arrived. He’s an intern and she’s his mentor in a counseling program. They are two pretty courageous souls. Janie said that about 20 years ago, while she was studying at the Sorbonne in Paris, she had an aneurism (or something sudden and devastating like that) while skiing in Switzerland. Because she was young, the medical personnel thought she’d overdosed on drugs. Then because her eyes went dark, they thought she’d died. She stubbornly kept showing signs of life, so, finally, they “rushed” her to a hospital. We spent the evening mostly laughing. 

Earlier today I met another neighbor who simply followed one of the workers carrying my countertop up from the truck. He wanted to get renovation inspiration (Don’t come to me!!) He and his wife just bought a place here. He said his wife conducts interviews every morning on public radio … got to listen … but not tomorrow … he said it’s a special on the end of life. 

Love,
k

Wreath and candles


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.