Dec 25, 2016

Miami Merry Christmas!

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

This was the first Christmas Eve without Clark, but he seemed to swim with me this morning, reminding me of all the moments we spent together on or near water. Sailboat and dinghy, gale and calm … we had time enough to share it all. Of course tears tried to take over, but a person can’t cry and swim at the same time. Something about the breathing! So I kept on swimming, as Clark would have it, and a lovely Christmas Eve began.

There was more work to do preparing dinner, but not nearly as much as yesterday. In the afternoon I walked a mile to Starbucks, where I drank my annual peppermint mocha. As I sat at the outdoor table, sketching the roof against the sky, Jay tapped my shoulder and I jumped. He was out getting wine for tonight. It was fun to run into someone I know, even though it was the family member who is my host. It seemed like I am not a stranger on Key Biscayne.

Everyone came, and dinner couldn’t have been better. We ate by candlelight and stars on the back patio, and before dessert we had a gift exchange. Later, we cleaned up the same way we had cooked — all together.

Here’s my recipe for Christmas potatoes, which (I say modestly) are the best! I made 2 1/2 times the recipe because why not? 

Merry Christmas!

Love,
k
Looking up on Christmas Eve
Roof against the sky, Key Biscayne



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.