Oct 1, 2016

Separation Anxiety: dog and human

Written last night: 

I feel blindingly alive now, coming out of the fog, knowing how brief and even abrupt life is. Clark said I would live well, should he die first, (All theory — I was convinced that would not happen), and I want to live up to his trust in me. Living well is not the point. I long for him, and how I survive has nothing to do with that. Or maybe everything. 

I am becoming able to not cry when I say his name. I’ve learned to get around it. When I have to explain why I’m confused about something (for instance, to the Geek Squad), I say there have been a lot of changes in my life lately; I don’t say my husband used to take care of this stuff.  And when I was talking to the vet this morning I practiced ahead of time: I need a refresher on caring for Zing because my husband had died, and he was the one who’d kept track of Zing things. I said these words several times to myself as I walked with Zing up the street to Dr. Dinger's office. Relaxing my face and speaking without cadence, I got through without tears. Not that I mind tears, but they shock people. 

The vet, and Eric, the great PetSmart salesman I saw soon after, agreed that Zing’s barking shows he has a not-too-terrible case of separation anxiety. At this point he doesn’t need a crate or a necklace that shocks him or even a collar that emits a bad smell when he barks. I left them thinking I have lots to learn about my little dog; he and I can take a training class, explore dog parks, work toward a regular routine. These things might help me as well as Zing. I should brush him (Clark did that), brush his teeth (Clark thought that was ridiculous), turn on music and talk shows to keep him company when I’m gone, leave him with frozen treats to keep him occupied, try calming herbs in his water or sprayed in the air or emitted from a plugged-in device (Thanks, Susan! I'd ordered some Pet Rescue Remedy already.)

When Zing and I walked along the river early this evening we discussed this. We think we are both coming along nicely.

Love,
k
Crocker Art Museum from the River Walk.
Sacramento River is behind me
The Crocker also has a Victorian mansion, on the far side of
 the new building

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.