Oct 23, 2016

Hills have no logic

Written last night:

Zing and I drove to Auburn this morning. I’d heard of it for a long time, because Keith and his family lived there.  So Auburn was a picture of distant loved ones in a house on a leafy street, but now it’s real. It’s about 30-40 minutes from Sacramento (probably more during rush hour), the first “country” town past the suburbs of Roseville and Rocklin. It’s all up-and-down hilly, with a historic town center (I didn’t visit that today). There’s a kind of strange park that picks its way along a stream through the valley part of town. The park seems to end with a community garden next to the police station. (You can tell I’m not used to hills — they divide a town without logic.) 

Zing and I walked along some hilly streets and then went to the farmers market. A sign said no smoking and no dogs, so I locked Zing in the car again and cruised the stalls quickly. 

I grew up in the hills of southeastern Ohio and thought nothing of that topography, but I guess I’ve spent so much time since then in Florida that slanted living takes some getting used to. 

I am so glad to be able to explore again! I was frozen for awhile; even driving in midtown Sacramento terrified me. I’m sure I’ll return to Auburn because people say the area has lots of lovely parkland to explore.
Love,
k


2 comments:

Bookwife said...

Glad to hear that you and Zing had a good outing. Hoping all goes well for Zing tomorrow. Your post card is hoping to make it into the mail at last. Your other sister Lucy

Kathleen said...

Dear one! Lucy

Great to hear from you! I'm also late with postcards, but they are simmering in my mind! Looking forward to yours.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.