Oct 8, 2016

Safe and cozy

Written last night: 

I am watching Zing stick his head into his new “house” — the crate I bought today after seeing our trainer Cassi's video of Zing barking and barking at our door for almost three hours while I was away at the dentist’s.

So! It’s true! (are we surprised?)  Zing insistently barks at the door when I’m gone.

Disheartening.
Must I be with Zing constantly?
Will I have to find a new place to live?
Can I have a life?

Cassi’s advice: *
  1. Keep Zing away from the door. That’s the only place he barked. (In the video he takes occasional --silent -- tours of the living room and kitchen.) So tomorrow, when I leave to do errands, I’ll pile ottomans and footstools to blockade the hallway leading to the door. 
  2. Introduce him to the safe space, a new “house” that is a comfy crate covered with a quilt, with his special bed inside and his food and favorite toy and a smelly T-shirt to remind him of me. 
  3. Tempt him repeatedly to enter the crate and comfortably enjoy it as a safe nest. Follow every positive move he makes with a healthy treat. Leave the door open. Later in the week, when he’s comfortable, close the crate door. Then open it. Treat. Repeat.  
  4. Practice leaving. Get ready. Go to the door. Don’t leave. Do this a lot. (It takes the threat out of leaving.)
  5. Then repeat the above, but step outside. Come back in. Quick
* Many of you who have pets know this stuff, and you've already given me much of this advice. I've been blithely blind. Seeing Cassi actually act out how I do and say the consoling things for Zing helps.

The hardest part so far was putting the crate together. The hardest part for Zing? Not sure. Right now he’s sitting on a pillow next to the crate. 

Tomorrow I’m leaving Zing alone while I do errands. Maybe he’ll feel more peaceful this new way. I don’t think I will relax -- not until there's  a video of Zing, quiet and alone at home. 

I’m sad and worried.

Written this morning:
Zing is snoozing in his cozy crate home  beside me. The door is open. 
I'm leaving for Xfinity store in 5 minutes.
... to be continued ...

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I have no doubt that Zing will soon feel relieved that he no longer has to constantly guard the perimeter, and you and he will both be well settled. Think of the responsibility that Zing had assumed for himself - guard the homeplace against all comers. And it probably didn't help that the "perimeter" included a corridor with many scents that needed sorted out into friend, enemy, and neutral.

dc

Kathleen said...

Wise and true!

Thank you, Dianne!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.