Nov 22, 2016

One bark forward, two barks back

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

I’m cringing as I write because I’m listening to Zing barking on the recording. He was supposed to be all calm because I’d given him a tranquilizer prescribed by the vet at UC Davis.  I turned on the recorder when I left  a couple of hours ago to have dinner around the corner with Keith and Judy. I don’t like the idea of medicating Zing so I can leave, but even more I don’t like the idea that it doesn’t work.

I’ve got 53 more minutes to listen and he’s barking already. Maybe he’ll stop.

(On the other hand, it was fun to have dinner and conversation at the Italian restaurant.) 

Zing did go a whole hour before starting, and he isn’t barking constantly. There are minutes of silence followed by whines and sharp barks. The medicine calmed him, but not enough. This is hard. I am writing this and listening to my iPad at the same time. Can you hear Zing’s faint whine? No barking now. Oh, yes, now! One sharp bark. If I were a neighbor I’d be disturbed. Zing is disturbed too. Worst, the vet said never to let Zing get to this point again, so I unwittingly did exactly the wrong thing.

Wednesday we’re going to UC Davis for the follow-up appointment. (Zing is quiet now.I can hear the music from the radio that I left on in the studio.) I am going to turn the Zing recording off. I get the idea. I don’t know if I have the patience to see this through. 

Except, at this moment Zing is sleeping peacefully at my feet. His recorded barking doesn’t disturb him in the least. 

Love,
k

2 comments:

pdcrumbaker said...

So, do you suppose Zing always did this barking, but it simply went unrecognized back in Tally where you lived in a single family residence with a large yard? What if you bought Zing a friend. Then, of course, you would have two pets--perhaps two barkers, but certainly two that would need to be fed and walked. But would the friend need to be a dog? My daughter's dog was friends with her cockatiel. They ate out of the same dish at times. I saw a cat and a raccoon strolling down the drive one evening, side by side. And my daughter's horse had a bunny for a best friend, which would hop around the horse until the horse laid down, then nestle close for a nice nap. Not suggesting, of course, that Zing should have a pony. Maybe someone at Stanford has come up with a robot dog to serve as a companion to Zingers. If not, we should do it. We could make millions!

dc

pdcrumbaker said...

lay down ? Suddenly my high school English has left the building

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.