Nov 14, 2016

Home is in the details

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

I love Sundays because I don’t try to do anything. Except of course I do. Today it was small details that make me feel more at home.

This afternoon Zing and I finally connected with a dog-loving woman I met in the lobby back when I first moved in. 
“Let me know if you ever need someone to watch your dog,” she said then. 
Amazingly, Friday I found her name (Sandra) and her unit number. (Oddly, it was in my contacts. I did not think I had that kind of presence of mind back then. Sandra is an exercise guru who has her own gym. She likes dogs around as she works. Her husband, a fireman named Chad, told me she had a beloved dog that died a year ago. This afternoon Zing and I went to the gym to meet her, and Zing immediately began playing with a little fluffy dog she’s watching. I left Zing there for an hour, and will do the same tomorrow. 

Earlier, Zing and I played “disappearing” games recommended by Karen the vet. I jangle my keys and put on my coat and then don’t leave, but instead walk into the bedroom. Then I come out. It sounds inane, but I was kind of getting into it. The idea is to get Zing accustomed to the sound of keys in a relaxing situation. The literature emphasizes that some dogs take a very long time before this becomes effective. Rushing doesn’t work.

I also made plans for an early dinner with a woman I met at the yoga class, since for the rest of the month at least I can leave Zing at Grateful Dog until 7 p.m. 

Life here is gradually taking a shape. Like Zing’s exercises, I can’t rush it.   

I hope that all of you are well and happy and maybe settling into some part of your own life that just can’t be rushed. Enjoy it!

Love,
k


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.