Jan 26, 2017

Still learning

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

I am beginning to feel at home here. Zing and I have worn paths to the Safeway and the Natural Foods Co-op, and I know when the Farmers markets are open and I’ve made some friends, and I know which gas station is most convenient, and where to get my car washed and which street lanes become right turn only and how to turn a key in a lock without breaking it, and how to use a FOB to open a door (What’s a FOB? you ask? It’s a magic circle that you press against some numbers and it unlocks a door.), and which streets are one-way, and which hours to avoid driving in midtown, and how to say NO to a homeless man, and how to use earbuds, and when to talk to someone in the elevator and when to be silent, and which stores welcome dogs, and what time I-80 clogs up and …. 

… and there’s still so much to learn!

At first I was afraid to drive down the street, and now I’m thinking about driving to San Jose. It happens in steps: First, explore with someone else, and then drive alone. I might explore by bus or train, and then drive myself. Today it was Danville, not too far from Berkeley, for a SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) meeting. Mary Kaye drove. The topic was Writing an Artist Statement, and I could rave on and on about the group, but I’m falling asleep!

Love,
k

A Northern California SAQA member showed us a piece of her pojaki, 
hand-sewn traditional Korean patchwork



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.