Jan 10, 2017

Rising river, howling wind

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

Hard weather here, but you’d never know it to look at the street outside my building. No leaves, no twigs, etc. But a neighbor who was awake at 1 a.m. said there was a terrific wind howling then, and at about 5:30 Zing and I walked in the dusk across the Tower Bridge — the gold bridge that’s the extension of Capitol Mall -- just to see if the water was rising. And it was. The current was swift and swirling, and the trees along the shore on both sides were up to their knees in water. This is the area where the homeless sleep, so I imagine their beds are somewhere else tonight.

Faith, a 92-year-old woman who lives near here and who has lived in the area most of her life, said that the river used to flood every year, until they did some engineering and created locks and levees. (I just checked, and the locks have be "decommissioned.") But from what I hear on the news, we are not getting the worst of it. That’s along the rivers to the north and the east of here. It wasn’t even raining when Zing and I were walking. The drops began to fall as we got home.

Speaking of home, I have finally put maps of California and of Sacramento on my studio wall, so that I can see where I am.  It’s not exactly where I thought I was!

Love,
k

Rising water
Tower Bridge over the Sacramento River 
looking toward West Sacramento
about 5:30 p.m. Monday



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.