Jan 27, 2017

A tiny shop and then a hopeful dinner

Written last night:

Dear Friends
It’s been a while since Keith, Judy and I  got together, so I loved spending this evening with them. We talked a lot about family … and faith and ancestors … I think it was all generally about hope. It was a laughing, lingering dinner.*

As you know, I am grappling with technology, and today it was mostly about my iPad. The day after Clark died I dropped it on the front sidewalk, and the screen lights have not been right since. You see everything, but it’s on a slightly striped screen of lights and darks. In the bright sunlight of Miami it was impossible to read, and Mary told me I’ve got to take care of it quick. Today I found a place nearby where they can fix it, and around lunchtime Zing and I strolled over. (It’s fun to be on the street during lunch hour when the legislature is in session because  it’s crowded, and you can overhear snatches of interesting conversation.) I was worried about whether the shop would let Zing in, but that was not an issue, for this little shop is not in a building, but between them — squeezed into the narrow space between a Taqueria and a SubWay. You might think it’s someone playing Store, but it’s for real. “Is this the Computer Store?” I asked the man who was dancing and rapping on the sidewalk outside the sign. He seemed to nod his head Yes. So Zing and I took two steps from the sidewalk into the “store.“  Zing sat down underneath the plank that is the desk. The clerk/manager said he can help, took my money and ordered a needed part. Zing and I can’t wait to go back. 

Love,
k

* The menu was beef bourguignon (from last week ... I froze the leftovers.),  buttered carrots, garlic bread and poached pears with ice cream and chocolate sauce. Those recipes are here. (except not the carrots!)


See that little spot where the man in red is?
That tiny space between the green overhang and the SubWay
is the computer repair shop

Inside the shop


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.