Jan 30, 2017

Miami days

Miami days
Dear Caroline, 

You asked me to post about my time with the women in my family in Miami over MLK weekend. I love that you are so caring! And curious, too! These are my notes and drawings:

From Jan. 16:
These past few days have shown me once again how beautiful family and friends are --and they may not even know it -- by simply abiding through loss and its  confusions. 

I spent yesterday and today saying goodbye and I'll see you soon to my sisters and nieces and our third generation woman, Juliana. We loved being together.  We celebrated Mom and each other. "Was Grandma spunky?" Juliana asked Rachel as we were driving home from the beach. "Yes!" we both said, " and you're spunky too!"  

Then this afternoon four of us from Carrollton School got together at Pam's to see what we could remember together, and what we hope for the future. It was plenty! I am bolstered by the day. 

From Jan. 19:

It was lovely to be in Miami again. A couple of months ago to visit there seemed impossibly challenging. But this MLK weekend with the women in my family was just plain good. My sisters and nieces have been there for me all along, and I hope I am there for them too. 

On the way home to Sacramento yesterday, wouldn’t you know it, my seat belt was trapped between the cushions as we were leaving Dallas. I yanked and fiddled, and so did my seat mate, with no success. I was going to tell the stewardess, but maybe later; instead he charged to the front of the plane immediately — dodging incoming passengers — and told her my problem. Someone came back and fixed it. Anyway, my seat mate had a graying ponytail and expensive-looking tooled leather boots and pressed jeans. I thought he must be a Texan. Except for me thanking him, we never talked until the end. It turns out he was on his way to  his home in Alaska, and he regaled me with the glories of that state. Independent people, it seems. Gorgeous coastline. Dark winters (Go to Arizona then if you can, he advised.) Good fishing. He works for the oil industry (?), and was on his way back from Trinidad, off the coast of oil-rich Venezuela. 

I landed in a Sacramento of cold rain and wind. They said the river was up to the bridge. Tomorrow Zing and I will check.  

Love,
k

Here are two drawings from Miami:


Swimming pool

Through the window

2 comments:

Lesley Valdes said...

Love this!!

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Lesley!

Miami gets under your skin!


Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.