Aug 23, 2016

Monday is for laundry and luxury

Written last night:

Today was not lazy, but it was routine. I’m letting a new routine emerge. 

I did the laundry: uneventful, except that in the laundry room on the first floor (It’s got plenty of washers and dryers and looks onto the garden, so it’s only slightly inconvenient.) I did meet a woman who observed (complained) that the ceilings here are too low to properly hang her antique Japanese kimono, which she has framed like a picture. She had to put it in storage.  “Is it silk or cotton?” I asked. “Silk.” 

Of course there had to be an hour or two or three of unpacking and putting things away. This should be simple, but somehow I’ve lost my winter jackets and sweaters. I remember stashing them somewhere when I was numbly opening boxes in the dark last Friday. I hope I find them by December.

Then I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure at the Vietnamese shop around the corner from the grocery. I recently started doing this, at Clark’s insistence. He wanted to pamper me. The first couple of times, in the Tallahassee shop, near the Lake Ella Publix, I felt clumsy. It’s kind of like a dance and I didn’t know the moves: Someone greets you (rather abruptly) usually from a stool where he/she is polishing someone’s feet. “Hello,” but not just hello. There’s a gesture made, and I didn’t know what it means. But had I followed the hand I would have seen it pointing to a wall of polishes. I was to select a color immediately, or maybe two. But I don’t want polish. “No polish?” “No color?” Since that first time, I’ve gotten looks that were disapproving, or puzzled, or even relieved. Usually I get an extra finger massage for simplifying their work. 

On a roll with being good to myself, I followed with a pressure-point massage for my pained knee. (After the knee heals I’m going to continue massages anyway.)  I am breaking out of a rut — a deeply dug habit, part guilt and part righteous shunning of such luxuries. 

As I drove home, Patrick called and eventually I was able to pull over to talk. It’s hard to find a parking spot in Sacramento at rush hour. People are not just escaping to the suburbs; many are weaving around the “grid” as I was, stopping at shops and restaurants. Then, since I was two blocks from a small Thai restaurant called The Coconut  I went in and ordered Cashew Shrimp with brown rice to go. While I waited, I ordered four dining chairs from West Elm. “Oh, are you shopping online?” the waitress said, “I do all my shopping online; I never go to stores anymore,” she added. So she approved. Dinner was delicious. I will go to The Coconut a lot, I suspect. It is a plain couple of rooms decorated with original paintings by a local artist, and people of all ages enjoying straightforward deliciousness. I will feel comfortable eating there by myself. It was a perfect spot to finish my day of pampering.

Love,
K


2 comments:

Dianne said...

Continuing to enjoy your settling in process. So glad you're writing.

Dianne

Kathleen said...

It is great to be connecting with you this way, Dianne!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.