Aug 9, 2016

A rather tedious day, with tears

Written last night:


I still wake up in the middle of the night, close to what would be 6 a.m. in Tallahassee. When I stirred this morning, my face was wet with tears. I don’t remember thinking or dreaming of Clark, but something deep inside me was crying. I felt a terrible longing. 

But, you know me, I did go right back to sleep.  Clark would be laughing.

My knee is slowly getting better, so I walked  to Ambrosia at Cathedral Square for breakfast. (The hotel has great granola and perfect fruit, but I need a change.) I think I’m going to call Ambrosia Amnesia from now on, because I want to forget about the chocolate croissant I had this morning. That way I can have another tomorrow. 

The rest of the day I did paperwork, if that’s what they still call it. Will someone please tell me how to keep track of passwords, usernames, pin numbers, transaction codes, and all that other stuff I am forgetting?? Yes, I have a list, alphabetically. But there always seems to be one little digit gone missing. Then I have to call on the phone and get the machine that tells me it will be one minute of waiting and it turns out to be 15, during which time a lovely-voiced robot keeps repeating how easy it would be to just hang up and go online, which I’d love to do, but can’t, which is why I’m calling on an actual phone. Florida Retirement System even made me quit Safari, because “our system only supports firefox and something else you’re not using."   By the time I get to the real person I have forgotten my question. Oh, yes, I do write my questions down beforehand, but they become meaningless after tedious minutes of public service announcements that fill the space between when you called and when you’re actually answered.  

Then — Then! I called State Farm to update my homeowners insurance and it was easy! Clark had already set things in motion months ago, and all I had to do was say thank you. And that’s the second time I cried today — because David from State Farm remembered Clark. 

Love,
K

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost like being with you in person – rich and funny and warm and smart and so very authentic. *dabs eyes*. Maureen

Kathleen said...

That's what I want. To be with you in person, Maureen!

Anonymous said...

A great mixture of laughter and tears. I love reading your blog and I appreciate you posting the reminder on Facebook! Lori

Anonymous said...

I agree -- it's like you are here in person telling us your tales.
Miss you -- love you!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.