Aug 30, 2016

Facing up to paperwork

Written last night:
Today was for paperwork. Let’s see how many days until I’m finished. I’m hoping it’s Friday. I want to be up-to-date by Labor Day weekend.

When I say paperwork I mean business stuff, not necessarily paper. Mostly it’s dialing a number (say, State of Florida Pension), listening to an automated response, selecting a number, listening to recorded lovely voices, waiting…. waiting… waiting… 

Talking to someone ...
being referred to someone else …
Repeat.  

This is OK maybe two times, but I’ve been doing it over and over, because when someone dies and then you move, you have to report it to many financial institutions, then get a new account, then tell them you want it taken out of/put into a new bank, with a new address … Sometimes (today!) it’s even more frustrating because you don’t have any credit connected to your deceased husband’s (the Citibank card was in Clark’s name, therefore I need a brand new card… ) they’ll tell me within 10 days if my credit is good enough. Never mind that I’ve been partnering in paying over many many years. Oh, no, you don’t want to hear me complain! I’ve just gotten started!

There’s more!  I’ll spare you, except to say that who knew that dryers don’t all have vents? Mine doesn’t have a vent. Therefore, the dryer I ordered could not be delivered. It stays in the truck at the curb. Send back the dryer that came today. It needs vents. Send back the washer, because it needs to be stacked with the dryer. Plan to go to Best Buy tomorrow and start all over, buying a ventless dryer and washer that matches. Who knew? Who ever cared! Me! Today!

You might tell I’m frustrated. Well, I was frustrated about 11 a.m. today. Then I said to myself: this is going to keep on happening. Is there any way to enjoy it? My answer box came up empty. But still I’m trying to enjoy the process. It’s clear that there’s a problem everywhere. I’m going to look under the rocks for shiny happy little things. The rest will take more time than I had planned.

Luckily, today Mary called. She gave me some good advice about window shades (I thought shades would be hard to buy, but Mary says no.) Mary also listened to my complaints. Thanks, Mary!

One of today’s business calls was to American Express. I had to close out Clark’s part. It was just plain business, but I burst into tears. Every time I close Clark’s part of a card or account it’s admitting he’s not here. It seems so cut and dried, but all at once I cry. 

Love, 
K

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.