Aug 27, 2016

It's not easy to make it look easy

Written last night:

Some of you deal with plans and numbers and schedules every day. It’s your job — maybe more than half of you juggle people or products or services regularly. I have been dealing with the complications of moving logistics lately, and my hat is off to you! Respects!

Here’s why: 
You make two things coincide. How on earth? One side is always early or late. From 8 to noon today I waited for the refrigerator and stove and they got here an hour late, at 1 p.m. Besides, they were supposed to be here yesterday.

You make things arrive in one piece. Not always easy. Today I was watching two men unload appliances from their truck so they could get to mine, and one piece (can’t remember — something squat, like a stove) was sitting on the street with an edge over the loading part of the truck, that kind of elevator thing in the back. One man was talking to me and he nonchalantly pressed the lever that raised the loading platform. As it went up it flipped the appliance onto its back on the street. Crash! “Oh, nothing happened to it,” the man said as he hustled over to right it. Perhaps he was correct.

You make people who don’t know each other produce for mutual benefit. The department head depends on the salesperson, who  depends on the delivery person, who depends on the scheduler. Theoretically, they click like clockwork. Ha! Today the delivery men insisted they have nothing to do with the appliances. They deliver, plug in, and leave. But they discovered I had the wrong water line (who knew there is more than one?) and my stove plug is too close to the floor (really? really?). No wonder the delivery men arrive defensive. “People usually blame us,” they said. “We can’t do anything about it.” 

They told me that scheduling and connecting issues happen all the time. It’s frustrating and time-consuming and inefficient. That’s why, whatever it is that you organize and schedule, my hat’s off to you for all the times you make it work seamlessly. Whatever you make happen, now I know it’s not easy. Thank you!

So the stove plug must be raised, a bigger water line must be attached, but at least I can look to my right and see a refrigerator and a stove, kind of perfectly in place in my kitchen. I made a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner, and had ice cream for dessert. I’m home.

The rest of the day I furrowed my brow and attended to more of those financial details. I can’t tell you how relieved I was when I called a customer service number about 2:30 p.m. and got the message they’re closed for the day, because it was 5:30 p.m. somewhere.  So I just did online stuff until I couldn’t stand it anymore. 

Good night!

Love, 
k

2 comments:

Cindy said...

For us introverts the delivery men (or repairmen) can be the equivalent of a party. A bad party. Where we don't know anyone. And can't leave. πŸ˜†

Kathleen said...

You? An introvert! Yes!
It's a party where tips make everybody happy!
And they're introverts too.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.