Jun 26, 2017

Olive oil green and gold


Written last night:

Dear Friends,

I went to the farmers market under the bridge today to learn more about green vs. gold olive oil. Last weekend in Michigan Roberta and Andy alerted me to this fine point. The green oil comes from unripe olives, and is prized for its intensity — it’s more expensive because green olives release less oil than ripe ones. It turns out R & A  love the brand of olive oil from my (MY!) booth in Sacramento.  In a wonderful coincidence, Andy said the woman who waited on me today (I sent them a photo) is the very same woman who sold them their first bottle of Bariani oil. I treasure the connection.

I also bought a lot of strawberries because the price was going down so much (as closing time approached) that I couldn’t pass them up. I’m learning the varieties of berries, and today's are Albions.

Luckily, I recently got to farmers markets in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and Columbus, Ohio. Each has a different feel, as you can see in these photos. And of course they were less abundant because peak season in the Midwest is upcoming. 

Love,
k

Above and below, Columbus. Pearl Alley, I think, north of the Capitol


Ann Arbor, Michigan
Above and below; Sacramento






No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.