Jun 15, 2017

Inspired by Beatriz Milhazes

12" x 12"
Acrylic collage on canvas board


This piece is inspired by Brazilian artist Beatriz Milhazes.  Her collage + paint technique and vibrant colors and design enchanted Patrice and me when we saw her work at the Perez Museum in Miami. I was experimenting with her methods and trying to see if they work on fabric right when Clark died. After that I stopped. Now I've picked up the project, using 12" x 12" canvas board instead of cotton. It is easier to work with.

1. Draw designs on plastic.

2. Paint the design. I used heavy body paint, Liquitex Cerulean Blue Hue. I let the paint dry overnight.
I painted the canvas board beneath it in Liquitex Brilliant yellow-green.

3. Brush Elmer's glue on the back of the designs.
Place the painted plastic, glue side down, on the base.
I put bricks on top. 
Let it dry. When dry, gently pull the plastic off. Some of the paint might come off as well, creating a weathered look.

Make more designs the same way. 
Let the paint dry.
Cut the designs out when the paint is dry.
I made simple fish in Liquitex Prussian Blue Hue and a red-orange curved piece (Liquitex Naphthol crimson + Turner's Yellow.)

Experiment with placement of the designs.
When it looks good, glue them down. Let the glue dry.
When the glue is dry, pull the plastic off and leave the designs.
I could add more layers of design and color, using the same technique, but I have challenged myself to make one small piece each week, using a different inspiration every time.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.