May 19, 2017

More work than magic

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

Today I worked intensely on eight final drawings for my book, to have it for the 3 p.m. class. I don’t think I’ve been so immersed in making something since Clark died. It still needs color, so I'll show you later.

The best thing I’ve learned from Abigail vanCannon’s class is that making art  takes time and work. (I thought it was magic.) Abigail helped me remember what I already knew: mastery follows practice. She led us through possible steps on the way to completion: draw your piece lightly, considering composition; when you like it, go over the pencil lines with black ink; then make copies or else compose simple mock-ups and try out various color combinations;  then enlarge the drawing so you can complete the piece. I think I forgot some other steps I could take before making a finished piece. It's basically trying out options and seeing what you like best. In reading biographies of artists I see that Abigail is right — Picasso made many “studies” before tackling his final pieces. Now, of course, his studies are considered valuable pieces themselves.

I love making things. Now I know it's more work than magic.

At 8 this morning I tried out a line dancing class over on J Street (Thanks for the idea, Keith and Judy!). I was not nimble, but it was fun anyway. 

Then I walked that neighborhood and stopped at Sutter’s Fort State Park around the corner. I’ve got to learn more about this guy Sutter. I think Sutter's mill was where gold was discovered -- don't know what kind of mill  -- oh, I see it was a sawmill -- and I read somewhere that at first he didn't want word about gold to spread, because it would mess up his mill work. Anyway, I guess he needed a fort to protect his operation or something like that.... History! to be continued...

Love,
k

These costumed women are playing some kind of a hoop game
 on the lawn of Sutter’s Fort State Park.
I think the men are from a TV station that was filming there.



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.