Apr 30, 2017

San Francisco with my cousins

Written Friday:

Dear Friends,

There's still tonight in San Francisco, and we're (my cousin Judy and her daughter Christy-- both from LA) going to dinner soon at a restaurant near the Bay Bridge. I haven't been with them long, but they already know about me and bridges, and they selected this spot for me. Not only that, they had a fuzzy owl perched (do owls perch?) on my pillow when I arrived at the Fisherman's Wharf Hyatt Wednesday. Plus, we've been laughing at the same things. 

Here are notes, in case you visit SF, and also for me to remember on my next trip:

Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf. Comfortable and soul-less. Dreary gray nautical theme. I arrived early and tired --  longing for a cozy lobby where I could wait for Judy and Christy: not this one!  Seems like a conference hotel, and indeed Christy is here for a conference. 
Fisherman's Wharf itself. We skipped it. Tourist trap.
Cable car rides -- right around the corner, but didn't have time. I remember loving the ride on a trip here with Clark. 
There's a Starbucks, Trader Joe's, Cost Plus World Market, Safeway Mkt., and Walgreen's a block or so away. Other neighborhood-type services (dry-cleaners, etc.) are nearby. 
Walking just a bit farther:
Pat's Cafe, Mason Street.  Bright and welcoming breakfast and lunch place.  I had a tuna salad sandwich and good cup of coffee for late lunch the day I arrived.  Steady stream of customers.
Cafe Capriccio, Mason Street -- loved having breakfast here 2 days -- simple little place with sidewalk tables too. I had French press coffee and fruit-yogurt-granola, just like at home. Tempting pastries, cheesecake and quiche on display. Wifi. 
Fior d'Italia, Mason Street. We had a delicious, Italian dinner in this restaurant in what is billed as the oldest hotel in SF.  I would definitely return. 
We got a 2-day San Francisco Go-Card for $99.  This let us in museums and on the 21-stop on-off Big Bus tour
California Academy of Sciences. Made me love all flora, fauna, rocks, and rain. There's a fabulous video (no, that's too tame a word!) you can enjoy from reclining seats and focusing on the dome above. Lots more. 
DeYoung Legion of Honor Museum. Stunning building and park location, loads of art. 
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Can't rave enough. We missed the Matisse/Diebenkorn show because it was sold out. Should have gotten tickets ahead of time. There's a "chapel" devoted to my favorite artist, Agnes Martin.  Don't ask me why i love her -- she's pared down and has a limited palette, while I'm normally drawn to the messy and the bright. Lots, lots more art, and the biggest museum shop ever.
We made dinner reservations at the museum's In Situ restaurant. But the menu did not tempt us. Seemed pretentious, but that would have been OK if it also sounded delicious. So we decided to eat dessert first because that menu sounded better, but it was not. We finally had dinner at Joe's Crab Shack. Call us plain folks if you must, and judge the place for yourself. In Situ was crowded, so lots must love it. 


Written last night (Saturday):

I’m not afraid of San Francisco anymore! I know I’ll go back soon. 

Judy and Christy were so sweet — I wouldn’t have gone without them. They invited me to join them while they were in the city, where Christy was attending a conference. She’s a doctor in LA, and what I learned from her is to wash my hands. Hot tip! And don’t touch the sink handles after you’ve washed your hands (in a public place, especially). Put a paper towel between you and the handle. Christy didn’t exactly tell me this; I just cunningly observed. Also, use hand sanitizer. 

Having fun in SF with them gave me confidence that I can get around the city, maybe even on my own. As you know, I’ve been kind of frozen and “big girl” stuff has eluded me for awhile. I feel my sea legs, or life legs, returning. 

This time I took Amtrak to Emeryville, and then a bus into SF, and reversed the trip home. It was easy, because the bus and the train act as a unit, so the bus is right there when you get off the train. The whole trip is a couple of hours. The Sacramento Amtrak station is so close to my condo that today I just walked the few blocks, pulling my purple suitcase. It felt good to be back home.

When I walked in and saw Clark’s photo I burst into tears. He would have loved the train. 

Zing and I are going to take it easy tomorrow.

Love,
k

Once you start going up a hill you can't turn back.
That's how I got up here. Turns out it's the top of Russian Hill.
There's a plaque in the little park at the top 
to honor Ina Donna Coolbrith, California's first poet laureate 
If you squint you can see the Golden Gate Bridge

 Above is the old hotel that houses the restaurant Fior d'Italia



I had breakfast here every morning

Bay Bridge view at Epic Steak

Crossing the Bay Bridge, I say goodbye from the bus



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.