Apr 11, 2017

Dentist drills, then enjoy the hills

Written last night: 

Dear Friends,

I went to the dentist in Rocklin, 25 minutes away, and to reward myself, after the appointment I kept on driving for an hour more, ending up in Grass Valley with Zing. Finally I feel like exploring — even driving the hills. Until now I just couldn’t make myself do it. I was flattened by losing Clark, and that was one of the symptoms. He must have been astonished I was so backward. 

Rocklin is a far suburb of Sacramento, and then it becomes rolling, hilly, country. I think people in Sacramento consider Grass Valley a getaway, with wine bars and art shops and restaurants. At the center of town there’s a piece of machinery from a gold mill, where gold ore (who has heard of gold ore? It’s dirt with gold in it.) was smashed to extract the good stuff. Zing and I didn’t exactly walk all over town, but it’s so small that it seemed that way. I picked up a meatball sandwich at the Italian deli, and the server told me there’s a significant Italian community in the hills. 

Love,
k

Downtown Grass Valley
So your car doesn't roll down the hill


The tree that ate the house


Pausing from uphill trot

Upward dog: There's a yoga studio at the top of the stairs

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.