Feb 18, 2017

That turquoise bond

Written last night:

Dear Friends,

Remember Darrius, the woman wearing the party dress and the crown? One night a while ago she got off the elevator and bonded with Zing immediately. Well, tonight, Zing and I were heading out for our final walk and we ran into a woman coming back from the trash chute; she was wearing red flannel Mickey Mouse pajamas: Darrius. 

Of course she fell to immediately petting Zing, and then she invited us to see her apartment. It’s cozy and crazy and fun, with a giant dog sculpture and bright woven rugs and a grand piano by the window. “It keeps me sane,” she said. Her golden cat has a cardboard house with a carpeted yard.(Zing wants one.) We have a lot in common … she grew up near Tallahassee, etc., etc. But the thing I wanted to tell you is that as I was leaving, she went to the hall table and picked up this fine turquoise purse, which she handed to me. “I’ve been wanting to give you this,” she said. “Remember, you told me turquoise is your favorite color?” Yes, I did say that in passing. “Well, I don’t use this much, and I want you to have it,” she said. So I took it and I cried.

Other than that, today I gathered tax papers for the accountant (Thank God for accountants! Clark used to do the taxes using one of those computer programs, but not me.), discovered Sampino's Italian deli/restaurant, talked to the dog whisperer, who agrees that Zing does not belong in his class, since he trains police dogs mostly, and separation anxiety is not something you can train an animal out of, but rather you ease him out. The best thing he told me is that every dog is different and to trust my gut when I see something is working for Zing. He also said, and I agree, that the anxiety will seep away from both Zing and me the longer we live here and shape our new life.

I hope you all get to enjoy this 3-day weekend!

Love,
k

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.