Feb 3, 2017

San Jose beauty

Written last night:
Dear Friends,

San Jose was 2 hours from Sacramento by bus on the way over, and almost 3 on the way back today. 

I took the Crocker Museum trip as much to learn the way as to see the art — and I loved both aspects. The scene was gorgeous, mostly grays and greens. (I’m sure I-80 wouldn’t have been nearly as interesting had I been driving.) I love the first time you see mountains in the distance, not far outside of Sacramento, and then to feel them get closer and change shape from round to sometimes sharp, and they seem to get taller too. I love the fog, which wafted in ribbons around the heights. From the freeway I couldn’t see much interesting housing; it all gave a rather bland and tidy impression. I suspect things get interesting on the surface roads. No doubt the afternoon traffic could be even worse in bad weather, or if there’s an accident.

San Jose has a million people and the surrounding suburbs make that almost 2 million, but downtown near the museum was free of bustle, although there’s a lot of new construction. I had a great talk over coffee at the museum cafe with my high school friend Susan, who has lived in San Jose a long time (but her heart is in Ireland). We discussed poetry, politics and why a person like me should wear a warning whistle when she walks. Susan gave me a marine whistle, and OK, I will wear it! Faithfully! It is warming to be cared for by friends.

You know I’ve been thinking about beauty, and coincidentally the San Jose Museum of Art’s main exhibit is called Beauty.  The pieces are bold and inspiring.*

A few blocks away, at the intimate San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, is a challenging show of contemporary weaving.*

In between, I browsed the shops, especially Muji, featuring simple, functional Japanese wares. I bought brown paper and envelopes, and could have bought lots more. Next time I’ll drive and have room for shopping bags. 

Love,
k

*I am sorry I don't have measurements for the art below. The weavings are not small -- at least 36" wide, conservatively.

San Jose street near downtown

Beaded creature in the Beauty exhibit

Wax print cotton, pieced clothing in Beauty exhibit

Jenny Sabin’s structure is knitted of photoluminescent yarn.
It can soak up the sun’s energy by day and give it off as light at night.
In the Beauty exhibit


Detail: Textured weaving by Lia Cook

Detail, pieced and glued to make crazy quilt-inspired weaving by Lia Cook, below

Lia Cook used camera, computer and loom to create this weaving
Construction outside San Jose Museum of Art




No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.