Nov 27, 2012

S'more pie





You know how Thanksgiving makes you want chocolate? You do crave chocolate after all that orange food, don't you? Then you'll understand why I made a S'mores pie the day after turkey-- soon enough to coat-tail on the "It's a holiday so calories don't count" rule.  I used Smitten Kitchen's recipe, and the chocolate intensity didn't disappoint.

Next time I'll tweak the crust and topping,  though. Yes, I made the marshmallow topping. My cook-niece Gretchen has influenced me; she loves homemade marshmallow. What a surprise -- no egg whites involved! It's an honor to be in the secret marshmallow sorority, but next time I'm going to top this pie with lightly sweetened whipped cream instead.

And the crust -- SK's is a regulation graham cracker; next time I'm going to try butter-crunch crust. All these changes would be made to enhance the chocolate, of course.

Butter Crunch Crust from Spago Desserts

Mix in food processor just until combined:
4 T. butter
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 C. flour

Add:
1/4 C. chopped pecans
Process about 3 seconds more.

Spread on cookie sheet. Bake on center rack in 400° oven for about 10 minutes, being careful it does not burn. Remove from oven and stir it. Cool until you can touch it, then press into 8" or 9" pie pan or a 9" springform pan (This would be for cheesecake.) Refrigerate until needed.

Filling from Smitten Kitchen

7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used a bar of Lindt 70% cacao, which I pummeled with a heavy spoon before opening.)
1 C. heavy cream
1 large egg

Bring cream to a boil. (I microwaved it in a glass measuring cup -- be sure to watch carefully and take it out just as it starts to boil.) Put the chocolate in a bowl and pour the hot cream over it. Let it stand for a minute, then stir until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Whisk the egg in quickly, along with a pinch of salt.
Pour into crust. It will fill it about halfway up. Protect exposed edges of crust with strips of foil. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes at 350°. Chocolate will still be a little shaky in the center. Cool to room temperature, about one hour. Then refrigerate (SK recommends one hour uncovered, followed by 3 hours covered, in refrigerator. It probably wouldn't hurt to eat it earlier. Before you do, top with sweetened whipped cream.








No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.