Nov 4, 2012

Candied nuts



Dear Gretchen,
I lost the recipe you wanted. Mom's candied walnuts were great, and I know I've got the recipe around here somewhere. But I haven't found it yet.
So I looked for a similar recipe online and I think here's a better one. The coating's not as thick as I remember Mom's was, but these are delicious and easy. I made them last night, with pecans and dark brown sugar. It was so easy and quick and so delicious. There--I've said it again! I put  1 1/2 C. pecans and 1/2 C. brown sugar into my heavy copper saucepan and cooked over medium flame for five minutes, stirring all the time.

Next time I could try plain brown sugar and toast the nuts ahead of time, but why mess with perfection?
(Dec. 2 -- I just did this -- toast pecans and use plain brown sugar -- and it's definitely down on the flavor scale. I'm sticking to dark brown sugar for this, and, to my surprise, I won't even toast the pecans. This time I think that extra layer of flavor fights with the simple sweet perfection.)

This is another recipe, probably more like Mom's. But I think Mom would choose the new recipe.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.