Nov 29, 2012

Fall flowers


Mexican Sunflowers
8" x 10"
Mexican sunflowers are tall, orange knockouts with graceful leaves. They're annuals and that's about all I know. Except that I love them. Through late fall, they flourished at Gate B of Phipps Park, where I run. Some wagged on stems above my head. They're saturated color for sure. Recently I've been inspired by Penelope Gottleib's bright -- even harsh -- acrylic and ink paintings of flowers in pure color. Never mind that she sometimes includes bomber planes and other surprises among her blooms.  Following Gottleib's lead, I sat before the flowers in our yard and out at Phipps and made three flower pieces, using saturated colors. They're 8" x 10", mounted on canvas-wrapped board. 

Mexican Sunflowers at Phipps Park

Cardinal Guard

Fall flowers

3 comments:

Eve Samples said...

Beautiful, Kathleen. Thanks for sharing your creations.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathleen said...

Thanks, Eve! Always wonderful to read your blog as well. I don't have the patience to jump through the barriers to comment ...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.