Nov 6, 2012

Big art at High Museum



I stood right about here, loving this big art by Thornton Dial at the High Museum in Atlanta, when a guard came over and said, "We've got a whole show of his work coming. They're setting it up over there." (She gestured beyond the hall where we stood.) I love the texture and power. It gave me chills. This (I don't remember its name.) is one of several Dial pieces in the Fast Forward: Modern Moments show. We can see lots more in The Art of Thornton Dial at the High through March 3.

On my way to Ohio last week I stopped at the High, just off I-75. I'm glad I did.  Here are other striking pieces I saw:


Mark Rothko
layers of thinned oil paint
on unprimed canvas



detail
Radcliffe Bailey
acrylic, velvet and glitter 
on canvas



American Modern Pitcher
Russel Wright
Steubenville (Ohio) Pottery
(OK, OK -- I was a kid in Steubenville, which is famous for mud and pottery.)


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.