Apr 24, 2010

Red food

We're eating our way around the color wheel, & this week the pointer stopped at red. Mom's barbecue sauce took me back to the days she made it with chicken pieces or pork steak. It's sweet. Pour it over boneless chicken & bake at 350°. I can't remember the cooking time – longer than I expected, probably 45 minutes. Pierce the meat to see if it's cooked through. Sweet potatoes in chunks with a thick-sliced onion, tossed in olive oil & salt, roasted at the same time. Not exactly red, but close. Strawberries & sugar for dessert. The next night we had kale, stir-fried with just-pulled garlic, beets, & goat cheese omelet. A more balanced menu, color-wise.

Mom's barbecue sauce

Mix together: 1 C. chili sauce, 1/2 C. vinegar, 1/4 C. water, 2 T. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, dash pepper, 1 T. prepared mustard, 1/2 C. oil. (I used about 1/3 C.)

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.