Apr 26, 2010

Printing 2 – Rubbings



Rubbings are easy. You can see from my materials that I was remembering grade school, when we rubbed a crayon sideways over autumn leaves. This technique is a bit more grown-up, but no harder. I used thin, paper-covered wire from the floral section of the craft store. It's easy to shape. Here's what to do:

1. Twist the wire into a simple shape. You will find yourself looking at everything to see if it can be worked into wire. I chose a glass, a pear, fish, & finally realized I can write with wire.


2. Put the wire shape under your surface, either notebook or fabric. Don't turn your crayon sideways, like we did in grade school. Instead, let the crayon feel its way along the wire line that's underneath. Use your other hand to kind of guide it by pressing down ahead of where you're working. You will get a jumpy image. For paper, use a pastel crayon, & for fabric use Paintstiks. I did these pears on paper that I'd previously watercolored.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.