Apr 15, 2010

Purple Food

Once, without planning, I made a dinner of black foods: black beans & prune whip. Last night I almost added beets to the menu, but some kitchen angel stopped me. One purple is enough. We love this slaw from Bon Appetit.
I've never used lingonberries. (They say Costco has them.) Cranberries, cooked down with sugar & water, were perfect. I think any tart fruit jam would be fine; last night it was kumquat marmalade. I used pecans instead of walnuts. Half a head of cabbage to one tart apple. Leftovers are dull – the apple fades & cabbage goes limp. Here's my version:

Purple Cabbage Slaw
  1. Puree 1 T. tart fruit preserves, *1 T. Dijon mustard, & 1 T. wine vinegar in blender's food processor attachment.
  2. Gradually add 1/2 C. oil (canola or corn), with blender running.
  3. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  4. Mix 4 C. thinly sliced purple cabbage, 2 additional T. preserves, 1 grated tart apple (It's easier to grate if you peel it.), 1/2 C. toasted pecans or walnuts in a large bowl. (Large bowls make tossing easier.)
  5. Toss with the dressing. I added quite a bit of salt.
*I've put the entire 3 T. preserves into the dressing, & that's good too.


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.