Aug 30, 2017

Tomato Jam

Tomato Jam

I loved Mom's spiced grape jam. I loved her red raspberry jam (more than the seedy blackberry). I loved her strawberry jam too. But I think even Mom would love Mark Bittman's Tomato Jam best. I had it on a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch today, and it would also be great with biscuits or cornbread, and maybe lemon sorbet. The other night I served it with crackers and soft goat cheese. My neighbor who tasted it begged to take home what was left in the bowl. You might like it too. It's worth a try -- and it's so simple!

Here's Mark Bittman's recipe, which I got from the New York Times cooking app. He says Roma tomatoes are best, and I'm not even sure what they are. I've made it three or four times already, using the biggest, ugliest farmers market tomatoes I can find -- about three to a batch.

Mark Bittman's Tomato Jam

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
1 C. sugar
2 Tblsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tblsp. fresh grated or minced ginger (I minced mine -- it gets stuck in the grater.)
1 tsp. ground cumin (I use whole cumin seeds and grind them with my mortar and pestle -- I swear this makes a lively difference in taste!)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 jalapeƱo or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste. (I use the flakes, and I go light. You can add more at the end if you like.)

Step 1
Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. (The heavy part is important, to avoid burning.) Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

Step 2
Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about an hour and 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use. (I let it come to room temperature before serving.) This will keep at least a week.

All ingredients, waiting to become jam







No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.