Sep 12, 2016

Leland and Mary Stanford home

Written last night:

Sundays are best when they’re slow, I think. At the beginning of today I wondered how I’d fill the time. No worries! Now it’s bedtime and every minute I was worrying about has passed.

The best thing today was a long talk with Mary. 
Then going to the grocery store.
Oh — and also best is the general leaning toward neatness that’s happening in my studio: My goal is to keep it full of ordinary things with lots of space in between. I worked there for hours today, sorting stuff.  

On our walk today Zing  and I explored the garden outside the Leland Stanford home, which is just three blocks away. Sacramento is peppered with these grotesque (to today's eyes) Victorian mansions, and I'm sure each one has a story. 


Stanford is a big name around here -- not just a university, as I used to think. A welcome sign at the house explains it was home to three California governors, including Stanford, during the 1860s. Stanford got rich as president of the Central Pacific Railroad (and he was also governor -- a powerful mix!) at the creation of the transcontinental railroad, which made him and his wife Mary able to afford to add on to the house. Later, Mary gave it to the Archdiocese of Sacramento, as a home for needy children. Thankfully (It looks like a scary place for children to live) the state bought the house back a few years ago. Now it's a public museum and the state's official reception center, so I guess important visitors may get a handshake on the porch, or maybe it's a kind of official hotel, or party room. Soon I'll go on a tour inside and find out. 

Love, 
k


Side view of the Leland Stanford Mansion on N Street, Sacramento





No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.