Dec 21, 2013

To bind, to face, perchance to Zigzag



How to finish this?

Once, at a craft fair in Asheville, NC, I visited a booth with vibrant abstract quilts. They were framed and under glass -- negating the sensual "touch me" quality I love about fiber art. "Why do you DO this to your gorgeous work?" I asked the artist. "I'd never sell them if they weren't framed," she told me. "That convinces people they are art."

I don't want to put my fiber art under glass, but I do want it to appear professional -- or, better -- beautiful. There are many ways to do this, and I'm looking for finishing techniques that work for me. As I develop my personal style, it becomes easier.

For now, I'll be finishing my art quilts like this:
1 with zigzag or straight stitch
2. mounted on a simple base quilt after edge-stitching
3. faced
4. unobtrusive binding

Here is a how-to using fused fabric binding from Cynthia St. Charles' blog, "Living and Dyeing Under the Big Sky." I like how she prints the binding to extend the quilt print. That way the binding doesn't stand out.

Laura Wasilowski has a slightly different method for fused binding.






No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.