Dec 23, 2013

Christmas snowballs



I always make these Christmas cookies for Rachel -- and myself! This year I made it twice so there were extras for gifts. I first tasted these at the Miners' house next door in Steubenville (Ohio), when I was babysitting;  they were quite brown inside their confectioners' sugar dusting.  I guess Mrs. Miner cooked them too long. Since then I always cook them longer than this recipe says. Don't burn them, though!
You could still make these for Christmas, because they are easy.

Christmas snowballs

1 cup butter (I use unsalted.)
6 T. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
2 C. finely chopped pecans*
Powdered sugar

  1. Cream butter well. 
  2. Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
  3. Add vanilla and flour. Mix well.
  4. Add the nuts. 

Take small portions of the dough and roll into 1" ropes on a lightly floured board or wax paper. Break off small, bite-size pieces and roll them into little balls. Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment. Bake at 325° for 8 to 12 minutes or until light brown on the bottom. Remove the pan from oven and sprinkle the whole thing liberally with powdered sugar. Don't touch the cookies because they will break. When they are slightly cooler, you can roll them completely in the sugar. Let them cool and then roll again to cover with another layer of sugar.

*I usually toast my pecans and then grind them in a Mouli mill. This year I bought the pre-ground local pecans at Tomato Land. That was easier, but the other way is better. 


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.