Oct 5, 2013

Last days for Rembrandt


Rembrandt leaves the FSU Museum Sunday.  The exhibit of his etchings, I mean. I kept planning to go -- and finally did on Thursday. It's the kind of thing I sometimes put off with good intentions -- and then miss entirely. If you're like that too, get over there quick!

Maybe the best thing about my visit was running into my friend Rosie, who told me she's from Rembrandt, Iowa, the only place in the U.S. named after the brilliant Dutch artist. Somehow, she deepened the whole experience for me. Rembrandt, born in 1606,  had impact.

But the etchings! Being a quilter, I appreciate a well-plaed line. Rembrandt is breathtaking in his use of strokes and curves, tight and far apart, for character and mood. One of the descriptions noted that he even seemed to indicate color through line.

Most of the pieces are small -- and all the more impressive for that. My favorite is two or three inches square. I think it is titled "Old man and woman."


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.