Oct 30, 2013

Judy's Spanish rice


I only had red peppers, so this photo is brilliantly monochromatic.
See the saffron in the little mortar: I pounded it with 1 tsp. salt and then added a little white wine to intensify  flavor.
Tonight I'm using 13 ounces of grouper and shrimp, combined, and 1 cup rice and 2 cups liquid.

Judy's Spanish Rice

Dear Mary,
Here's the rice recipe we were talking about last week. I updated it slightly since I first blogged about it.

(Our cousin Judy married Lou, who was Spanish. She got this recipe from his family. It is a quick paella.) This is the way Judy told it to me -- with a few digressions:


  1. Sauté five  (yes!) cloves of garlic, chopped, in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. When it's light brown, toss in 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper, chopped. Salt lightly. Cook a couple of minutes. The peppers will soften during the rest of the cooking. (I prefer the flavor of 2 red peppers.)
  2. Add 1 pound shrimp or cut-up snapper or uncooked chicken and 1 1/2 C. rice. Stir so that everything is covered with garlic oil. 
  3. Add about 3 cups water or water/white wine/chicken broth mixed, a pinch of crushed saffron, prepared as indicated under the photo, and salt to taste. (I use 1 1/2 t. for three cups liquid, and wine:broth about 1:4. ) If you want it to be soupy, use more liquid. Put the lid on and simmer about 15 minutes, until rice is cooked. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked through. It will be if your pieces are bite-sized. 
  4. I recently read that you should let rice sit with the lid on for 10-15 minutes after it is cooked ... gets fully fluffed that way, or something ... 
This is so good. And I lucked into a delicious accompaniment: Cook and drain some frozen or fresh spinach. (In the refrigerator I had some leftover chopped spinach already cooked.) Lightly brown one clove garlic in a little butter, add the spinach and cook over medium heat just so it warms.  Stir in a little heavy cream and fresh-grated Parmesan. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.