Feb 12, 2012

Winter 4: the bird saved it

Winter
14 1/2" wide x 16" long
cotton, purchased and from used shirt, cotton batting 

Winter is finished, and I love its control and symmetry.  Didn't know I had that in me! For a time I hated the quilting -- I carefully designed the stitching and then all at once I loathed it! The lines on the pines seemed dangerously dart-like. I'd used heavy #12 thread, as Jane Sassaman does. I brooded awhile, and one gloomy day I decided to rip it all out, at risk of messing the piece beyond use. I crazily took my little orange scissors and snipped wildly at the right corner. I worked outside because that makes me calmer. I was snipping madly, not getting very far because of the close stitching, when a big wet plop made me stop. The ultimate insult: a bird flew over and pooped on my quilt! I ran inside and washed it off. That's when I realized all I needed to do was rip out the heavy threads. The rest was fine. Now the quilting is all in regular thread, which is right for this piece. Thanks, bird!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.