Feb 7, 2012

Winter 1


Winter quilt: Choose 3 shapes.

Jane Sassaman said -- I may not remember perfectly! -- get your shapes from flowers & other natural forms. I follow the lines of stuff I pick up in the woods -- longleaf pine from Phipps. First I drew on regular paper, then cut the design out and traced around it on heavier 70-pound paper. I did manage to draw the spirals, using my flexible rubber ruler. I enlarged it on Staples' copy machine. Jane also says simplify the shape -- so I will reduce that sawtooth effect on the pine. I decided not to use the curvy shape -- it may come to life in another piece someday. The middle-sized spiral fits best: winter wind in pines. This all took much more time than you would think, but finally I settled on three shapes for winter: the pine needles,  the spiral, and a skinny, straight-ish piece for the tree wood, which is not shown here.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.