Feb 9, 2012

Winter 2


This is the design I'm making.

After I chose 3 shapes, I cut them out from fabric (here, all cotton) backed with Pellon ShirTailor. That's a light-weight stabilizer. I also ironed ShirTailor to the back of the base fabric, a mahogany-ish Kona cotton. This looks (and is!) an ultra-simple design, but settling on it took me lots of time and fussing. Maybe a week. I made the shapes from other colors and shades as well. I'd arrange them and then let the design sit for hours or days -- moving this and that a quarter-inch or so, stepping back, squinting. So many options! I stopped when it felt right. Then I added the circles. "When you have an empty space, put a circle in it," Jane Sassaman told us. I took a photo and then traced the design onto big paper, numbering the pieces to show which would be sewn on first (dark green bases onto the pine triangles, violet swirls onto base), second (black limbs), third (triangles), fourth (circles).

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.