Feb 26, 2012

Oh frit! FSU fiber art show

Lanny Bergner's sculpture of screen mesh and frit
at FSU Museum of Fine Arts
Thread of Life exhibit

I saw the word frit at  FSU's Thread of Life exhibit at FSU yesterday. Lucky I was with Jennifer, who knows frit (A degree in ceramic engineering helps, she said). It's colored glass, but more complicated. I love frit. Lanny Bergner's mesh and frit sculptures are my favorite pieces in the understated, lovely exhibit. I was also happy to see three quilts by FAMU architecture professor and artist Valerie Goodwin

Yesterday was my second visit -- this time I studied methods of display, other than the conventional cloth pocket and rod for quilts. (Those were distinguished by distance from the wall; fluid cloth looks best when it's not flush but allows some air.)  Timothy Harding's simply-bound silk quilts were Velcro-ed to a wooden bar.
Koi, Timothy Harding


Harriet's Music Room (16" x 18"), one of Laura Breitman's refined fabric collages, seems to be a base of firm paper glued to foam core attached to a mat in a subdued frame. Her Water lilies  (below) was wrapped around a support, set inside and slightly away from a gold frame that was painted black within.

Water lilies, Laura Breitman. fabric collage


Water lilies, detail


 One of Judy Chicago's weavings is mounted to a larger fabric-wrapped board.

The show ends March 25.



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.