Feb 22, 2012

Red beans & rice -- then strawberry tart

Strawberry tart cooling


The red beans and rice we had last night for Mardi Gras were delicious -- but dessert makes a prettier picture. A long time ago I wrote "Good" in the cookbook margin above the red beans recipe. That's an  understatement. You can find it on page 3 of The New Orleans Cookbook, which you can buy today in paperback. Here's my version. I used frozen chopped peppers and onions (thawed, with the excess water squeezed out of them), and left out the pickled pork/bacon that's in the original recipe,  which would only make it better.

Red beans and rice

Soak a package of red beans overnight. Drain and rinse them and put in a big pot. Add:
1 large ham bone (Honey Baked sells ham bones. I bought ours at Connie's Hams.)
2 C. chopped onions
1/2 C. thinly sliced green onions
1/2 C. chopped green pepper
1 1/3 T. minced garlic
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 lb. baked ham cut in one-inch cubes (You can buy cubes in the grocery.)
1 T. salt
1/2 t. pepper
a shake of cayenne (to taste -- I added this at the very end)
2 crushed bay leaves
1/2 t. dried thyme
a squirt of basil from a tube

Add cold water just to cover. You can leave a bit of the bone above the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until beans are very tender. Stir well every half hour and add a little more water if it's getting too thick. Don't let the bottom burn. I had the lid on at first, then took it off to cook it down. When it's done, take out the ham bone and beat the beans a little with the immersion blender (This is what I do -- the original recipe keeps all beans whole). Serve it over rice. I used brown rice, the boil-in-the-bag kind. The original recipe calls for white rice. This is a great soup too, without rice.

For dessert I made strawberry tart, using my raspberry tart recipe and a pie crust I'd had in the freezer from Thanksgiving. To save time I just tossed the berries willy-nilly, rather than arranging them. It took about 30 minutes to bake it so the center was not runny.







No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.