Dec 31, 2010

Spice changed my life in 2010

I discovered smoked paprika in 2010. Eureka! Mom sprinkled paprika on deviled eggs, & I used to make Chicken Paprikash with the "regular" kind, but this is another spicy level. It comes sweet & hot. I use sweet, most often with olive oil & sherry vinegar. Here it's on garbanzos (with garlic), red peppers, & tuna for a quickie lunch. After the photo I added nonfat Greek yogurt. I also like/love it on spinach stir-fried in olive oil with onions & maybe garlic, & it's wonderful on a fried egg sandwich. Sprinkle it on before you're finished cooking. It likes to sizzle. Oh, also on sautéed potatoes. And fish. And I must return to Chicken Paprikash. Let's see … why do I love this stuff?

2010 has been an appreciation of spice. I even considered blending spices for Christmas gifts (but didn't do it). Next Christmas, these might be in your stocking:

Tandoori spice mix
2 cloves garlic
2-inch piece of ginger, sliced fine or grated
1/2 t. lemon zest
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 C. cilantro or parsley
1 T. curry powder or Tandoori spice
pinch cayenne
1 t. salt

I mixed this with a cup of yogurt for a chicken marinade. Then broil.

Mideast spice blend
1 T. minced garlic
1 t. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 t. ground coriander
1 T. ground cumin
1 1/2 t. cinnamon

Sauté with an onion in olive oil.
*from a NYTimes recipe for chickpea tagine with chicken and apricots. For that, you sauté 4 skinless chicken thighs in olive oil, remove them, add a chopped onion, then the spices, along with 1 C. chopped tomato & 1/2 C. chopped dried apricots. You cook it a little bit, then add 2 C garbanzos & 1 to 2 C. chicken broth. Cook slowly 15 min., then add 1/2 C. bulgur, & cook until chicken & bulgur are done -- 10-15 min. Add salt. Top with chopped parsley.

And this is Epicurious' Indian spice blend. I sprinkle it on cauliflower & roast it with olive oil. Also good with yogurt, chicken, rice...




No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.