Dec 14, 2010

Meyer lemon marmalade

Grandma Krumm canned, & so did Mom. (I'm not sure Mom loved slicing all those peaches, juice running down her arms in the hot August kitchen, & 5 kids also running. This Meyer lemon marmalade made me appreciate her work.) Clark sharpened my knife, our across-the-street neighbor Ed gave me treasures from his tree, & I kept promising to do something. I doubled the recipe, & it works fine. The last half-dozen jars are bubbling in the canner beside me, & I'm glad! This is the third year I've used the Epicurious recipe. I remove the packet of seeds after the water-lemon mixture begins to boil, & I finally figured out that 15-20 minutes is enough simmering after you add the sugar. Forget their tip to see if it jells on a cold plate. I've chilled two dozen dessert plates, waiting. Skip this step. Just take it off the heat. It's done.

2 comments:

pdcrumbaker said...

Can't wait to try it. This year, Maureen and I had to "abort" the baby Mayer lemons to allow the energy to go to the roots of the young tree. Next year, maybe I can harvest them (if the poor tree survives this arctic blast!

Kathleen said...

That tree is a treasure. May you be rich in Meyer lemons!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.