Dec 18, 2010

Chocolate caramel truffles

Chocolate is not Christmas. Except …

Chocolate caramel truffles

1 C. sugar
2/3 C. heavy cream (I use organic.)
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (Kallebut, if you can find it. It costs $15 a pound (at Simply Entertaining in Tallahassee) & they only stock it at Christmastime, so you have to horde some for your Valentine's day chocolate heart.)
1/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla

In a dry heavy saucepan (I use the beloved copper pan I bought in Paris.) cook sugar over moderate heat, stirring with a fork until it melts, & sugar is golden caramel. Remove pan from heat & add cream carefully. (Mixture will bubble up.) Caramel will harden; stir until caramel dissolves.

Remove pan from heat & add chocolate, salt, & vanilla. Let mixture stand 5 minutes & then stir until the chocolate melts. Transfer mixture to a bowl & cool, uncovered. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until firm.

With a spoon (I use a cookie scoop.) form 1-inch balls. Roll truffles in 1/2 C. cocoa powder, or coat with 1 C. finely chopped pecans, pressing the nuts in slightly. Chill about 1 hour. Makes about 40.

I made these just before Thanksgiving for a Dec. 4 party, & they kept perfectly. I wrapped them in foil, placed in a plastic box, which stayed in the back corner of the refrigerator, where we couldn't easily reach. Let them come to room temperature before serving.

I think I got this recipe from Gourmet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely delicious! Smooth, sweet and darkly chocolate throughout. Highly recommend trying this recipe. Many thanks to the author.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.