Dec 13, 2010

A-peeling

I don't like citron, so I make candied orange peel for my lebkuchen. Otherwise, I follow Grandma Krumm's recipe. (well, except for the toasted almonds & she didn't use Tupelo Honey either ... ) That recipe is to come, but the orange peel is a treat in itself. I got the recipe from Chocolates and Petits Fours by Beverley Sutherland Smith (p. 12).

Chocolate-Coated Orange Peel

2 thick-skinned medium oranges, halved
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup water

Squeeze juice from oranges. Cut into quarters. Remove the membrane. Do not remove the white pith. Cut peels into half-inch strips, making about 80. Place strips into saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to boil. Drain. Repeat four times. The last time, keep cooking until the peel is translucent. I couldn't tell, exactly. I mean, translucent?? I just cooked it a while, not until it fell apart. Drain well. (I put the strips on a towel.)

Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Raise heat to medium-high. Cook a minute. Add orange strips and cook until syrup is reduced (Use your judgment; you don't want any juice left.), stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if it seems to be cooking away too fast.

Place strips in a single layer on a wire rack set over waxed paper and dry for 24 hours.

I chop these for a citron substitute in German cookies, but they are perhaps more fabulous when you dip one end into melted Kallebut dark chocolate. Pretty, too.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.