Dec 23, 2010

Snowballs

These are my favorites.

Snowballs
1 C. butter (unsalted)
6 T. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
2 C. finely chopped nuts (Toasted pecans are best. Walnuts are good. Almonds are terrible. They belong in macaroons.)
Powdered sugar

Cream butter well, then add sugar & beat until fluffy. Stir in vanilla & flour. Add the nuts. Mix. Take small portions of the dough & roll into ropes on a lightly floured board. Cut into even sections. (You can line up the ropes & cut several at a time.) Roll pieces in your palms to make bite-size cookies. Place on parchment-covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325° for 8-12 minutes. They are extremely tender when you take them out of the oven. Yesterday one fell off the pan and crumbled into the drawer under the oven. I tried to taste another while it was still hot & it crumbled in my hand. So don't touch them until cool, if possible. But as soon as they're out of the oven, sprinkle a big cloud of powdered sugar over them while still in the pan. The hot cookies will make the sugar into something sublime. Then, when cool, do it again for a pretty white dusting.

I don't remember where I got this recipe. There are many variations & I've tried some. This is best.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I love to make things.